In KS1 our aims are to provide a curriculum that will appropriately:
· Foster and promote our student's physical, intellectual, cultural, social and emotional development, allowing them to establish the skills and attitudes to become independent life-long learners;
· Prepare our students to operate effectively as citizens;
· Maximise achievement, make learning an enjoyable experience and encourage a sense of personal fulfilment and well-being.
To meet these aims and ensure that our curriculum is accessible to all learners, it is our intention that it should:
· Provide breadth both in the range of subjects it offers and in the style of learning. Our students will learn in many different ways: out of doors; through play; by doing; by watching and by listening; formally and informally; in small groups; in class groups; from each other; from adults (teachers and others); before and after school;
· Be appropriate for the developmental stage of our students;
· Provide continuity and progression; build upon previous learning revisiting skills, knowledge and experiences and move onwards to the next stages.
At KS1 the curriculum is designed and planned to equip our students with the knowledge, skills and experiences they need to give them access to and allow them to operate within the range of contexts for learning identified above. The Programmes of Study from The National Curriculum for England provide the framework for our curriculum. From this, teachers then devise the schemes of work for their year groups. In addition students are given the opportunity to study Mandarin and/or their mother tongue (French/ German/ Dutch/ Spanish). The curriculum is delivered by the class teacher and specialist teachers for Music, PE, and Mandarin/Mother Tongue.